Summer is coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean you should put away your sunscreen. Sunscreen isn’t reserved just for the summertime, but should be incorporated into your daily routine year-round.
Sunscreen is the best defense available for your skin, as it protects you against harmful UV rays that may cause early signs of aging – wrinkles, sun spots and sagging skin – to together with harming your skin.
Sunscreen bottles are labeled with a sun protection factors or SPF. The higher SPF numbers generally indicate better protection from the sun. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher to ensure adequate sun protection. It also recommends reapplying sunscreen every two hours, and after swimming or sweating. For prolonged sun exposure – especially those with fair or sensitive skin – using sunscreen with at least SPF 30 is best.
As we age, our skin becomes thinner and more susceptible to damage – especially from sun exposure. Wearing sunscreen daily, can help keep skin looking young, beautiful and vibrant by blocking out the damaging UVA and UVB rays from the skin.
At Pristine MedSpa in Ridgecrest, Calif., we want to help you keep your skin looking and feeling its best. Wearing sunscreen is the easiest way to help protect your skin, while preventing early signs of aging and skin cancer.
The American Academy of Dermatology offers these great tips to getting the most out of your sunscreen.
- Choose a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher
- Opt for sunscreens that offer broad-spectrum coverage (for UVA and UVB rays) and are water-resistant
- Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before sun exposure to allow time for absorption into the skin
- The proper amount of sunscreen for an adult equates to about one ounce – the amount fitting in your palm – to cover exposed areas.
- For those with thinning hair, apply sunscreen to the scalp to prevent burning or wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Don’t forget smaller areas like the hands, feet and ears
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours – especially during prolonged exposure – and always after swimming or sweating.
Prevention is the best way of treatment when it comes to the skin. Adding sunscreen to your daily skincare routine is a simple way to prevent early signs of aging and skin cancer. For additional information on sunscreen or skincare, call Pristine MedSpa to speak to one of our skincare experts.